Tostones are from the Spanish word “to toast” and is a popular side dish in Cuban cuisine.
- To cook first peel the plantains and cut them into 1 inch chunks.
- Add the oil to a frying pan and turn on the heat, once the oil is hot you are ready to start frying.
- Fry the chunks until lightly browned on both sides take out of pan and place on paper towel.
- You flatten the plantain chunks by using a tostonera or you can use a piece of folded paper bag or paper towel. Put the fried chunk on one end, fold the other half of the paper over the plantain and flatten with your hand. The shape should resemble the picture above.
- Add the flatten plantains to the hot oil and cook them until golden brown on both sides.
- Once browned take them out of the fryer and place on a paper towel to dry, add salt and serve.